Sunday, May 3, 2009

Look Both Ways...

Ever since I was little I've learned that when you cross the street you wait till the light is red, you get a light up sign of a man telling you it's ok to walk, you look right, you look left and IF and only if there are no cars coming you cross the street.

So imagine my surprise when a grown man darts in front of my car. I had two choices... slam on the breaks and hit the man... OR... swerve and miss. I chose the latter. I'd like to call that defensive driving.

Apparently that was the wrong choice becuase next thing I know I got the red and blue flashing lights behind me. As I pull over I see cop cars lined up down the side streets. hmmm.
Come to find out the man sacrificing his life is a cop and they've staged the whole thing to see who will yeild to the pedestrian darting in front of your car.

Some vital things to keep in mind:

  • It is about 7:40 pm and I'm heading East which equals the sun is about eye level
  • I was going the speed limit
  • The man was in a crosswalk, but not at a light or stop sign... just the middle of a street
  • Do I find it a coincidence that it was the last day of the month? Well not really. Quotas perhaps?

As the cop pulled up he explained that they were running an expirement to see how many people stopped for the man. They had pulled over 30+ people that evening alone. He was very impressed that I was not on my cell phone and said things like "you look responsible, I'm sure you have license and registration on you"... well no shit sherlock, I'm a law abiding citizen doing everything I should be doing and a man just jumped in front of my car. He apologized that would have to give me a ticket (undisclosed amount so this should be fun) but he would knock of $10 for wearing my seatbelt. Thank you so much officer... you've always been so good to me... like when you came over with my hate crime and did absolutley nothing.

So next time a man runs out in the middle of the road I'll try and decide whether it is better to kill the man or get a ticket. I'll decide this when I see the amount of my ticket.

7 comments:

Holly said...

Ummm....get yourself a lawyer, you could seriously own the city of Logan for throwing a police officer in front of you to see what motorist would do. Are they seriously that bored!? Is that not classified as entrapment AND would that not be considered attempted murder or conspiracy to harm a police officer on the police departments part, because they placed an officer in a situation that they knew could possibly kill him?!!

Jeremy and Annisha and family said...

No way! Only in Logan!

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

Let me know your court date. I would like to be a spectator.

megan f said...

hahahhaha i just about died laughing with the "no shit sherlock" comment. Katie Jo! Who knew you were so funny! I love your blog by the way!

Melissa said...

They were doing that here (West Jordan) a few months ago. But they had some teenaged kids running into traffic. (Maybe that was their community service time to get out of juvy or something) Anyway, the best part was the news team that was also parked around the corner, to witness these kids deaths....seriously, who does that? I think there is something fishy going on here...

4 Reale said...

Um, hi that little experiment they do is the reason I'm on probation. Ticket was around $100... points are huge.

Totally feel your pain. And the sun was setting for me too.

ASSES.

Nikki said...

What?! I would be so friggin mad. That is just bullcrap. I'm sorry Katie JO... seriously if you have a friend who is a lawyer I would look into it. What a waste of tax money!