Sunday, May 17, 2009

Curse?... or Blessing


Allergies. Horrible allergies. Like the kind that close your throat off, make your eyes swell shut and nose constantly plugged. I get these allergies in the spring, the summer, the fall. Ouside, inside, on the farm, around animals. It's very convenient.

So after years of double to triple doses of claritin, allegra, zyrtec I decided to go to the doc and see if I could get some shots or something. Luckily it wasn't just allergies... apparently I had a deviated setpum and some pissed pollups in my sinuses that blocked 95% of my breating capacity. Oh and did I mention I had lost my sense of smell? So luckily I had this $10,000 surgery which did absolutley nothing. Now I take some medicine that makes my nose bleed and tastes like acid is going down the back of my throat. It's very pleasant.

If you're wondering if my smell came back the answer is no. Going on three years now. Sometimes it's nice... like when a family member or co-worker has gas or when someone cooks fish in the microwave. Other times it sucks... like when you can't smell perfume and have a nervous breakdown in the mens section at Nordstroms... or so I hear.

I know at times I've had a baditute about this and I just need to make some lemonade, whatever the hell that means. Abbey sent me the following article on CNN which I think puts everything in perspective:

"(CNN) -- We've all been there: reached for our food in the office refrigerator, only to recoil from the stench from the crammed containers of decomposing food. When a worker at an AT&T building in San Jose, California, took it upon herself to clean out an office refrigerator during her lunch hour Tuesday, the smell from the moldy food was so noxious that it sent seven of her co-workers to the hospital and prompted the evacuation of all 325 people in the building.

The refrigerator had been unplugged for some time and moved into a conference room for cleaning. When the woman tried to scrub down the mess, the stench from the cleaning chemicals combined with the rotting food. "It caused some to vomit, some to just get nauseous. And it, for us, activated a hazardous incident," Capt. Barry Stallard of the San Jose fire department told the television station.


Firefighters set up a triage area in the building's parking lot. In all, 28 workers reported feeling sick. Seven were taken to hospitals for evaluation. Not among them: the woman who volunteered to clean the fridge. She suffers from allergies, firefighters said, and had had nasal surgery. She didn't smell a thing."

This lady has now become my mentor and my hero. I have a lot to live up to.

7 comments:

Ann said...

Love, love, love it.

And you.

Hali said...

I feel your pain! Allergies out the yang. Sinus surgery (twice). UGH!

I, however, maintained that blessed sense of smell, so I REFUSE to clean the stinky office fridge!

Good luck to you though! ;-)

Abbey Gal said...

Oh hello hilarious. You are lucky I'm here to help you make lemonade lol. I remember the breakdown at the Nordstrom's fragrance sale... having to drag you into the men's clothing section and telling you to "pull yourself together". When I read this article I just wanted you to know that you are not alone.... :) Love you

Nikki said...

Katie Jo, I had no idea that you can't smell...does it affect your sense of taste too? Cuz that would just suck. Sorry, you're having allergies..me too. Loves

Holly said...

Hahaha! You always make me laugh, just when I was feeling so sorry for you made me laugh! I love it!

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

I am laughing really hard right now...and you know why!

Jeremy and Annisha and family said...

Definately a blessing...AND a curse! Can you come over to my house to clean out my fridge? You're the best.