Saturday, October 11, 2008

Viva La Reba

My obsession with Reba started when I was very young. I remember as a little kid singing “Cathy’s Clown”. All five of us in the front of the pick-up driving up the mountain blasting “Does He Love You”. Joining the Reba fan club- shirts, mugs, a backstage pass (yeah I just found it at the end of one of the concerts, but I kept it anyway). Sleeping out in front of the Smiths for 3rd row seats and Reba doing Abbey and I’s actions to “Till You Love Me”. Going to Nashville over Thanksgiving and visiting her house… she wasn’t there… but I was. I own every cd. I know every song. I’ve seen the infamous red dress. Yeah, I’m a fan.

So of course I went to the Reebs (just a little nick-name Abbey and I gave her) concert. Yeah, it was my 7th one. My friend Amelia got great seats. I also had Tara (huge Kelly Clarkson fan), Nick (I dare say as big of Reba fan as me- together we’ve seen her a total of 12 times in concert) and Kate, who wasn’t as quite as excited as the rest of us but is now singing a different tune. (I wouldn’t be surprised if she stopped on her way home last night and bough Reba #1’s)
Highlights of the evening:


-I had a very large man sitting next to me, decided he needed 1 ½ seats and he took his other ½ out of mine. The fact of the matter is I need an entire seat and that didn’t include sitting on his lap. I should have asked for half of my ticket.

-Tara never sitting down, regardless if the entire North side of the Delta Center was sitting. Snide comments from beside us and behind us did not stop her enthusiasm for this concert.

- Calling my sisi pants during “Does He Love You”… it’s our song…she’s always Linda and I’m always Reebs. I know it’s weird to have a song about a wife and a mistress be your favorite song between sisters, but it is. Kate can do a pretty good rendition of Linda herself as well.

-The usher from the floor talking to us multiple times during the concert. He was old but I’m pretty sure he had a crush on Tara. You can see creepy smiling in the background.

-Nick and I singing EVERY word to EVERY Reba song…and loving EVERY one.

-Nick deciding that he should be on-stage with Reba during Fancy. No I take that back, Nick deciding he was Reba during Fancy. Singing, dancing, actions. No Nick you were not “born just plain white trash, and Fancy isn’t your name”.

Reba, thank you. Thank you for teaching me that “Love will find its way to me”, that “There is life out there” and that “I am a survivor”. As usual, I was not disappointed. Great concert.

10 comments:

Hali said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

Fun to see you today. Glad you had as fabulous a time as I did. SO FUN!

AND last, but not least, thank you for being such fan of the Reebs. Makes me so proud. :)

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

You know how I feel about country music so you'll be proud that I owned a Reba 8 track when I was a kid. I love that you love Reba. I love that you just reminded me that once upon a time...I loved Reba too.

You make me smile.

Flip Chick said...

A fun read! I'm a new Reba fan (only a month or so) and I've been devouring music, DVDs, youtube vids, etc. and the more I find, the more I fall in love with her! I would so love to see her in concert! Congrats on getting to see her live so many times!

Nikki said...

Oh Reba! Do you remember in high school staying overnight at Smiths to get floor tickets? What a fun concert. Those were the days.

The Hintze Family said...

Love it! Totally jealous! Nothing compares to Nashville - trying to climb the fence!

Abbey Gal said...

This is my favorite blog yet. Thank you for not disappointing me. First off, I have to say that Kate is an IMPOSTER! There is nothing like the original... and by that I mean me and you not Reebs and Linda. Second, I do remember standing on Reeb's front lawn buzzing on the intercom and pleading for her to let us in to no avail. I did, however, appreciate you calling me during "our song" because I was at the gym at the time and I got a lot of looks when I burst out laughing. It just reminded me how we practiced to sing it at Curt's farewell. Too bad he never went on the mission, huh? I am very sad I could not be there... But I'm glad Nick could be a stand-in supporter for the concert! I'm glad he appreciates her like we do. Looks like you guys had so much fun! Love you lots! Shout out to my red-headed lady!

Trevor & Lindsey said...

Love this post katie! Love Reba, and I am so jealous you went!

The Fam said...

What can I say. I'm still trying to block the Nashville memories. I do remember how hard I worked to find you that Reba kareoke CD. There is no team like you and Ab. Love ya.
Mom

Holly said...

You make me laugh lady! I can totally see you! Oh you make me laugh and I needed that!

Jeremy and Annisha and family said...

Sounds like an amazing concert! So glad you got to go. We missed you the other night.