Friday, August 22, 2008

Why I love the Olympics...

Many of you know I am pretty much obsessed with the Olympics. Since the good old days of 2002, I've been equipt with my purple volunteer coat, my lanyard of pins and my USU beret (you know you all payed an arm and a leg for them). I've been reminiscent of my days at Olympic Village... being a bridesmaid at the Brazilian bobslet team wedding, ripping my pants when the Canadian Hockey player fell on me, my sign getting ripped on the Today Show by our very own Al Roker.

I am one of those people that feels extensive amounts of USA pride during the Olympics. I love the red, white and blue. I wear my olympic pins daily and change my desktop background on a daily basis. I often feel that my cheering helps our teams to victory and in turn I take their accomplishments as part of my own. I use phrases like "we took home the gold" and "that was one of our best times yet". When they break the world record... I break the world record... when they drop the baton... I drop the baton... when they cry... I cry. I've shed many a tear, both happy and sad.

So hears to you Michael Phelps, May and Walsh, Shawn Johnson and that little 12 year old Chinese gymnast. We did a great job...Go USA!

3 comments:

Nikki said...

I know! Bern and I have been staying up late watching the olympics almost every night. Hmm, I wonder why I've been so tired.

Holly said...

LOL...LOL...LOL! You are so cute!! I can still remember your 2002 gear!! I was so jealous that you got to voluteer. You seriously always got the inside scoop and to be around all those (male) athletes and the fun stories you had, man I was so green with envy!

The Fam said...

Okay, Katie, seriously...you still have that purple coat? As far as the tears, I know, I've seen them. Who knows doll, if race walking (gumby style), ping pong and ribbon dancing are olympic events, there is still hope that scooter relay will someday be there. I think you, Teri, Joan and I can bring home the gold....hmmmm.
Desi